Lake Superior State University invites applicants and nominations for the Vice President for Finance and Operations (VPFO) position.
Reporting directly to the President, the VPFO serves on the Senior Management Team, and serves as the chief financial officer of the University. The VPFO provides comprehensive leadership and operational accountability for financial planning; budget management (business operations); investment management; master planning; strategic planning; project management; contract management; compliance and regulatory oversight; facilities and infrastructure oversight; Information Technology (IT); purchasing; University Bookstore, institutional research; as well as serves as the Foundation Board Treasurer, as the Board of Trustees Treasurer.
We seek an enthusiastic, entrepreneurial individual to embrace the tremendous opportunity to work with an innovative team to lead the University in an exciting new direction. In particular, we seek someone dedicated to the following areas and who has demonstrated success in the following areas:
- University leadership in assigned areas, including financial planning; budget management (business operations); investment management; master planning; strategic planning; project management; contract management; compliance and regulatory oversight; facilities and infrastructure oversight; purchasing; institutional research; and information technology.
- Development and implementation of plans and actions to meet University goals and objectives.
- Developing, updating, supporting and implementing the University’s strategic and master plans.
- Providing leadership and oversight regarding priority and allocation of University resources.
- Advising the University President in shaping institutional fiscal policies, strategic planning, management, and other administrative functions.
- Coordinating financial planning which leads to a strong, sustainable institution, supporting the goals of the University’s mission and strategic plan.
- Informing the President of any material deviations and provides trend information of organizational revenues and expenditures, as well as a forward-looking multi-year outlook.
- Working annually to assure an expeditious and positive audit.
- Leading long-range master planning, capital outlay, and infrastructure reviews and updates.
- Participating with the University president and executive staff in planning and policy development for the University.
- Providing appropriate leadership to ensure compliance with policies, regulation and applicable law.
- Providing executive leadership and oversight for ongoing and upcoming capital projects.
- Working with confidential and highly sensitive materials.
Lake Superior State University is located in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, bordering Canada and surrounded by three Great Lakes. With four seasons, it’s a prime location for any outdoor enthusiast. The VPFO will join an innovative and dynamic senior management team headed by President Rodney Hanley. President Hanley is leading the University to new heights through a strategy that builds on strong enrollments across colleges and programs, a regional and global footprint, and a solid financial position. The VPFO will be joining the university at a time of increasing enrollments, solid financial position, and exciting programmatic growth.
The VPFO oversees a dedicated staff of approximately 70 employees within five distinct units. The VPFO provides leadership in a wide variety of university activities. The best candidates for this position will bring strategic, critical and creative thinking to the financial and operational areas of the university. They will be skilled at diplomacy, collaboration and consultation, will have a proven broad-based leadership and managements skills. The best candidates will be motivated by the opportunity to have a meaningful and fulfilling impact on the lives of students and the entire university community.
1. Master’s degree with a minimum of five years of business/administrative and budgeting experience.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and financial management.
3. Extensive experience in financial systems applications in the financial and management areas.
4. Knowledge of accounting, payroll, budget analysis, purchasing, contracts and grants.
5. Demonstrated ability to develop both short-term and long-term plans for the areas under direct supervision to successfully complete University goals and objectives.
6. Demonstrated ability to manage, plan and coordinate technical activities while making sound decisions, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines on a regular basis by effectively managing own time and delegation to subordinates.
7. Demonstrated ability to organize and direct a staff of professional and administrative personnel.
1. Master’s Degree in economics, finance, or related field.
3. Ten or more years of senior leadership experience in public higher education.
4. Progressively more responsible senior leadership experience in higher education.
5. Demonstrated senior leadership experience in financial systems management, preferably in a higher education environment.
6. Experience and understanding of the academic operations and culture of public higher education.
7. Knowledge of higher education business and financial operations.
8. Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise personnel and complete all associated personnel actions in a timely and accurate manner.
9. Knowledge of physical plant, campus safety and security and personnel administration.
10. Demonstrated ability to work with institutional research staff and data to develop predictive models concerning expenses, revenues and long range financial planning.
11. A commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.