About the Friedman School/HNRCA Advancement Office:
The Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University is the first graduate school of nutrition in the US. From bench science to policy, the Friedman School educates tomorrow’s leaders, and affects change today, from famine relief, physical health, and obesity, to investigating the nutrients important for our health. The Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA) is the largest center in the world focusing on the links between nutrition and healthy aging. The Office of Development and Alumni Relations seeks to develop and maintain substantive relationships with alumni, students, corporate contacts, parents, and friends to raise the significant philanthropic funds required to meet the School and Center’s endowment, capital and annual giving needs.
What You'll Do
The Director of Annual Giving is a vital member of the Friedman School/HNRCA Development and Alumni Relations team who leads annual fund activities for the office. The Director of Annual Giving creates and implements strategies and tactics that will increase annual fund participation and leadership giving from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and friends. Responsibilities include prospect portfolio management, personal solicitations, direct marketing activities, strategic planning and reporting, and volunteer management.
Other duties as assignedReporting to the Director of Development the Director of Annual Giving is a vital member of the Friedman School/HNRCA Development and Alumni Relations team who leads annual fund activities for the office. The Director of Annual Giving creates and implements strategies and tactics that will increase annual fund participation and leadership giving from alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and friends.
Primary Responsibilities (not limited to):
• Supervise the annual fund, Develop, and implement plans for effective direct marketing campaigns, including direct mail, email, and social media
• Supervise and mentor the Asst. Director of Alumni engagement
• Manage a portfolio of leadership donors and prospects
• Manage volunteers and volunteer committees in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors to the Friedman School/HNRCA Annual Fund
• Create strategies that will increase annual fund participation as well as leadership giving. Work closely with Sr. Director, Director, and the rest of the team to set goals, create strategic and tactical plans for the department
What We're Looking For
• Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through a bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years of related experience (For example: Experience in constituent relations, direct marketing, and volunteer management)
• Extensive depth and breadth of knowledge and experience in philanthropy, annual giving programs and strategies
• Experience managing and mentoring staff
• Advanced interpersonal and relationship building skills
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office and some complex donor and information database experience (e.g. Advance, Razor's Edge, Millennium, proprietary system).
Preferred Competences and Qualifications:
• Knowledge of fundraising strategies and principles
• Alumni relations/constituent relations experience in a university, other non-profit or comparable field
• Interest in the health sciences