The Director of Business Development (DBD) in the Stevens School of Business will have a multifaceted role involving a Business-to-Business sales function to corporations for the School’s academic offerings, including for-credit degrees, custom certificates, and non-credit executive education programs. These products are generally delivered in-person or synchronous online to cohorts of students. The DBD will also create business opportunities for the School by growing research funding for faculty, increasing membership in our corporate networks, and providing opportunities for students. The DBD will be laser focused on lead generation by leveraging alumni, members of our multiple advisory boards, corporate sponsors and other contacts. To achieve their goal, the DBD will collaborate with the Graduate Program Directors, and other units in the school and the Institute, including Marketing, Alumni and Development, and Corporate Outreach and Placement. The position will partner closely with the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Generates new leads and creates high impact relationships with prospective customers to achieve sales targets.
- Secures new client contracts while maintaining strong, strategic relationships with established customers.
- Collaborates with other units in the School (and Institute) such as Marketing, Corporate Outreach and Placement Advancement, and Development to generate leads; oversees and manages the collective effort.
- Manages sales of varying complexity in a dynamic and highly competitive educational market by differentiating Stevens products.
- Provides customers with timely sales quotes and proposals for educational products.
- Works with program directors and the Dean’s office to close agreements including contracts, NDAs, educational delivery models, etc. with clients for the School’s for-credit degrees, custom certificates, and non-credit executive education programs.
- Increases the number of companies participating in the Stevens Alliance for Innovation and Leadership (SAIL) network.
- Attracts faculty research funding through corporate sponsorship.
- Deepens engagement with companies through the acquisition of Fellowships, Internships, and student Capstone Projects.
- Works with the marketing team to develop comprehensive marketing strategies, including pricing strategies and partnership models for corporate organizations.
Education and Experience:
- Education: Master’s degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience); MBA preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in higher education sales and marketing; experience with online education preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Decisive, forward-thinking, strategic mindset.
- Outstanding negotiation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and exceptional follow-up and follow-through skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate deals to successful completion.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to listen and understand client and market needs and communicate those needs to the Associate Dean and Dean in order to develop programs that achieve client goals.
- Ability to accept direction on assignments and work with minimum supervision, building support from colleagues, where applicable.
- Flexible Work Arrangement with 2-3 days per week in the office (2021-22 academic year pilot program). Position may transition to a full time traditional office environment in the future.
Stevens Institute of Technology is a private institution located on a beautiful campus in Hoboken, NJ, directly across the Hudson River from New York City. Hoboken is a vibrant, walkable community in close proximity of Manhattan and has been ranked among the 12 best college towns in the country by Princeton Review. Stevens Institute of Technology works closely with local and global industries as well as government organizations on various research projects.
Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Stevens Institute of Technology appreciates all applications but can only respond to qualified candidates.
Stevens values diversity and seeks candidates who can contribute to a welcoming climate for students, faculty, and staff of all races and genders. We are an NSF ADVANCE institution committed to equitable practices and policies and strongly encourage applications from qualified women and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.