The Office of the Dean of Student Affairs supports dynamic co-curricular learning and engagement for all undergraduate and graduate students within the School of Arts & Science, the School of Engineering at Tufts and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA at Tufts). The department partners closely with colleagues across Division of Student Affairs on a wide variety of campus programs and initiatives. As a central resource that supports the safety, dynamic engagement and wellbeing of all Tufts AS&E students, the Student Affairs office at SMFA will coordinate communication between campus constituencies and departments; support programs and activities to advance student learning; facilitate the coordinated support of individual students, and; work cooperatively with members of the faculty and the colleges’ senior leadership team to ensure the successful achievement of institutional and divisional goals, vision, and values.
What You'll Do
This is a hybrid position. This position will work in person on campus for at least half the work week during the fall and spring semesters while classes are in session, with more flexibility for remote work over the summer and during school breaks. There are periods of time and events in which in-person participation is required, and may require availability outside of regularly scheduled hours for emergency response.
The Associate Director of Student Affairs for the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (SMFA) at Tufts is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Student Affairs office for both undergraduate and graduate students. Responsibilities include hiring, training, and supervising student affairs assistants to manage the SMFA Student Affairs service window; advising Student Government Association; overseeing student support, resources, and referrals to campus partners as well as managing orientation programs and new student experiences. Leads the SMFA/Fenway Orientation Committee and represents SMFA on the larger Tufts Orientation planning committee. Develops and evaluates strategies, programs and events to promote student engagement in a diverse community. Supervises Student Services Coordinator and assist with managing budgets.
What We're Looking For
Please submit a cover letter as a writing sample, in addition to resume, with application.
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by Bachelor’s degree in related area of study
- 5+ years of experience in campus life or student activities
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills; ability to manage and evaluate competing priorities and juggle multiple tasks to completion
- Ability to support and relate well to undergraduate and graduate students in a creative environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to build strong relationships with members of diverse constituencies, and a successful track record of collaboration in achieving objectives.
- Commitment to Tufts’ goal of becoming an anti-racist institution and experience with diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice work
- Experience planning and leading educational events and programs
- Experience implementing technology to create, deliver and evaluate programs
- Master’s degree in higher education, student development, or related field
- Experience working in an arts school, arts education, or arts related industry
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.