Assistant Director of Recreation and Wellness
St. Edward's University
The Assistant Director of Recreation and Wellness will assist in the development and management of a comprehensive and well-organized recreation and wellness department. This program includes club sports, intramurals, personal training, university well-being and health promotions, group fitness classes, outdoor adventures, informal recreation, and aquatic opportunities that allow students to participate in a wide variety of healthy and active programs. The position reports to the Director of Recreation and Wellness.
- Serve as part of the leadership team of an integrated Recreation and Wellness department that includes: Fitness, Well-Being and Health Promotions, Intramural Sports, Club Sports, Marketing, Outdoor Adventures, Aquatics, or Informal Recreation
- Provide leadership and supervision to two or more functional areas, with primary focus being Health Promotions and Wellness
- Develop, implement, and evaluate health promotion and prevention programs on a broad range of topics for a college population using a primary prevention approach
- Coordinate and supervise the Recreation & Wellness Peer Health Education, QPR Suicide Prevention, and "Don't Cancel Class" programs
- Assess program learning outcomes and their impact on retention, student leadership development, and student satisfaction
- Advise student orgs associated and aligned with Recreation and Wellness
- Assist in the development and supervision of policy and procedures to ensure the safety and welfare of all participants
- Complete annual assessment and provide annual reports to ensure adherence to Student Learning Outcomes
- Contribute to the development, marketing, and facilitation of growth in recreational and wellness offerings to the campus community
- Assist in development of budget for Recreation and Wellness programs
- Maintain a strong commitment to student development and engagement
- Provide oversight of daily business transactions for department
- Recruit, train and supervise student staff of up to 60
- Work actively toward accomplishing the University long range plan and serve on campus-wide committees
- Provide assistance in planning and administering key university programs and events
- Other related duties
- Bachelor's degree require, Master's degree strongly preferred
- Two or more years of professional experience managing multiple university recreation and wellness programs. Graduate Assistantship experience accepted
- Knowledge of heath/wellness issues relating to college students, including (but not limited to) mental health, interpersonal violence, alcohol and other drug use, healthy relationships, holistic well-being
- Proven ability to manage, lead, and communicate with a diverse work group with a strong commitment to the academic achievement and personal growth of each student
- Possess strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of computer applications relative to management of Campus Recreation and Wellness
- Preferred certifications: Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES), Certified in Public Health (CPH), or eligible and intent to become certified
- Successful candidate must complete an employment and/or criminal background check.
Salary / Special Conditions
Salary range and benefits package are competitive. This is a twelve-month, full-time position. The work schedule varies often and includes day, evening, and/or weekend hours.
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit an application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/812129.html
Please attach a formal letter of application, resume, and a list of three professional references.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
Reference #: J18055