Associate Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
To build capacity and implement professional development for faculty and staff to support diversity, equity, and inclusion strategic goals across the University. The Assistant Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion reports to the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, a member of the President’s Leadership Team. The Assistant Director contributes to the strategic planning, implementation, and evaluation of initiatives that build faculty/staff capacity to accelerate and embed efforts to support DEI across the University. Collaborating with campus partners including academic and administrative leaders to develop programs, influence policy and identify resources to build a welcoming and inclusive environment where all members of the community can thrive, is the foundation of our work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to create and implement professional development initiatives for faculty/staff to support DEI strategic initiatives focused on: hiring diverse faculty; building capacity of faculty and staff to influence Stevens’ culture and climate to create an environment where students, faculty and staff can thrive; working with faculty to infuse DEI into the curriculum and co-curricular activities; enhance communications to the community to increase awareness of DEI activity and progress.
- Conduct faculty/staff professional development programs.
- Identify, develop, and implement metrics to assess progress in critical function areas.
- Forge strong working relationships with colleagues across the University in related roles to create a network, leverage resources and strengthen efforts to support DEI strategic goals.
- Identify expert speakers and guests, and host DEI events in support of DEI strategic goals.
- Generate communications in various formats to increase awareness among the campus community of DEI work and progress.
This individual will assist the Executive Director, Diversity & Inclusion in developing professional development workshops, discussions, presentations to support DEI strategic goals including:
- Increase faculty diversity with a focus on individuals from underrepresented groups to inspire student engagement and drive innovation in research and teaching.
- Enable Stevens graduates to be versed in the challenges, opportunities and issues of DEI and to effectively interact in a diverse workplace.
- Build capacity among faculty and staff to influence Stevens’ culture and climate to ensure all members of the community feel a sense of belonging and experience Stevens as a place where they can thrive.
- Enhance communications to the campus community to increase awareness of DEI activity and progress and to reinforce how DEI is valued at Stevens.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a relevant field.
- 3 years direct experience designing and implementing DEI professional development within higher education or a complex institution or organization.
- Experience working to effect organizational change through organizational development.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with serving and supporting the needs of those who may experience minoritization or marginalization in the academy.
- Experience in a STEM higher education organization.
- Faculty experience or knowledge of faculty processes and policies.
- Demonstrated success engaging others to infuse diversity, equity, and inclusion across units within a professional setting.
- Experience as a leader or member of a team, task force, or committee.
- Experience with strategic planning processes.
- Minimum 5 years of experience developing programs and facilitating training on a wide range of DEI matters.
- Experience managing conflict and building consensus.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of higher education operation in particular academic culture and DEI issues related to underrepresented groups in STEM.
- Evidence of experience collaborating and building strategic partnerships.
- Advanced education/training in diversity-related fields, topics and subjects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop trust with campus and community constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment.
- Ability to work effectively across the campus both as an organizational leader and valued colleague.
- Strong emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
- Discretion and good judgment to handle confidential information.
Stevens values diversity and seeks candidates who can contribute to a welcoming climate for students, faculty and staff of all races and genders. We are an NSF ADVANCE institution committed to equitable practices and policies and strongly encourage applications from qualified women and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Compensation: Grade 8
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.