Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Senior Director - Teaching and Learning
Utah Valley University
Senior Director - Teaching and Learning
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
Utah Valley University (UVU) seeks a dynamic leader to serve as the Senior Director for its Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL). The Senior Director will join a seasoned group of instructional professionals, committed staff and faculty in creating and supporting initiatives to fulfill OTL's mission of advancing the scholarship and practice of effective teaching and learning.
As the co-chair of the University Flexible Learning Council and leader of the OTL team, the Senior Director will foster university initiatives to "innovate the delivery of the academic curriculum and learner support services to anytime, anyplace, anyhow, and any pace." Research-based instructional design, flexible delivery methods, and other technological innovations will position UVU to provide greater access, engage diverse learners, accommodate expected growth, support degree completion, and establish itself as an innovator in higher education.
As co-chair of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) Fellowship Oversight Council, the Senior Director leads efforts to enhance, support, and firmly establish UVU nationally as a teaching institution with a globally accredited, prestigious, and credentialed Teaching Excellence Program that awards teaching fellowships within and beyond UVU. The position requires an individual who has a strong vision for a faculty-driven approach to enhancing teaching and learning and the ability to collaborate across institutional and UBHE constituents to advance the unique educational mission of the university.
As co-chair of Faculty Senate's Advancement of Teaching Committee, the Senior Director positions OTL as a service unit and works collaboratively to provide recognition, scholarship support, resources, and programming to develop pedagogical skills, including but not limited to technology-enhanced instructional methods, instructional design, and engaged and inclusive learning approaches. The Senior Director reports to the Associate Provost of Academic Programs, Assessment, and Accreditation.
Utah Valley University values diversity in its faculty, students, and staff and strongly encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans. UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a masters degree in a directly related field, plus four years of experience related to the Summary of Duties of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and strong leadership experience and demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively with academic administrators and faculty to create credibility and trust, and encourage initiative and innovation in online education and faculty development.
- Knowledge of nationally-recognized processes for quality assurance and regulatory standards for online education and student learning.
- Extensive teaching experience with a record of learner-centered instruction using a variety of pedagogies and educational technology.
- Experience in pedagogical support of faculty a higher education context.
- Maintains currency with relevant educational research literature, publishes, encourages faculty and staff publications, and informs the UVU teaching community of relevant work.
- Excellent listening, inquiry, and follow-up skills; willingness to learn about and embrace different viewpoints and perspectives.
- Outstanding oral presentation and written communication skills across various audiences. Strategic planning and resource management skills to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- People management skills including clear and positive expectations, providing professional growth opportunities, leveraging employees strengths, and providing feedback
- Demonstrated ability and capacity to collaborate across organizational units to create programs, maximize resources, and enhance the work of faculty.
- Ability to listen to faculty and administrators to support needs and strategic initiatives.
- Proven ability to garner support for ideas and work well with stakeholders (students, faculty, staff, administrators).
- Ability to nurture and unify a team towards common goals.
- Ability to collaborate across the UBHE system and with strategic partner Advance HE to advance teaching and learning more broadly.
- Ability to synthesize research literature and institutional data to ask relevant and essential questions to drive the strategic plan.
- Clear record of successful strategic and operational leadership; ability to inspire and influence others to support a comprehensive mission/vision; clear evidence of the ability to implement and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to implement new processes, procedures, and standards. Proven ability to creatively and entrepreneurially seize distance learning opportunities.
Rarely | Climbing, ascending or descending from a ladder, stairs scaffolding, etc.
Rarely | Bending or stooping; bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist or by bending leg/spine.
Rarely | Twisting; tuning the upper body while maintaining a stationary at lower body position.
Rarely | Kneeling; bending at the knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
Rarely | Crawling; moving about on hands and knees or hand and feet.
Rarely | Reaching; extending hand(s) and arm(s) overhead, lower or horizontally of the body.
Frequently | Standing; particularly for extending periods of time.
Frequently | Sitting; particularly for extending periods of time.
Frequently | Walking; moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. Excludes walking to/from work area or cafeteria, etc.
Consistently | Vision ability; close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Frequently | Fine Hand Manipulation; fingering, picking pinching, typing or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand.
Rarely | Pushing/Pulling; using upper extremities to press against something with a steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward or to exert force in order to draw, haul, or tug objects in a sustained motion.
Occasionally | Grasping; applying pressure to an object with the finger or palm.
Frequently | Talking; expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must be convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
Consistently | Hearing; perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking level with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound.
Consistently | Seeing; required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and reports; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive inspection involving small defects, small parts, operations of machines (including inspection) or to make general observations facilities or structure (i.e. security guard, inspectors, etc.); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distance close to eye.
Rarely | Lifting; raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. 10 - 25 pounds
UVU offers an excellent benefits package that includes a generous leave policy, 13 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents, and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: $90,842 - $113,552
Advertisement Number: STA173422
Open Date: 09/09/2022
Review Start Date: 09/23/2022
Close Date: 10/31/2022
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant:
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/30526
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |