This position is an exciting and challenging opportunity for a highly motivated, energetic professional who is eager to participate in the evolution of the fundraising programs at the University at Buffalo. The Director will spend significant time identifying and cultivating potential new donors and nurturing existing relationships with alumni and friends of the university.
The Director will join a team of professionals who are focused on ensuring sustainable philanthropic growth commensurate with the needs of the School of Law by engaging alumni and friends, soliciting prospects and stewarding donors in a professional and collaborative manner.
Reporting to the Vice Dean and Senior Director of Advancement for the School of Law (the Vice Dean), the Director’s primary responsibility is to identify and engage major gift prospects and donors capable of making gifts of $100,000-$999,999, including individuals in early stage cultivation and/or with whom the university has little to no relationship.
As prospects with the capacity and inclination to make principal gifts are identified, the Director also may cultivate, solicit and steward these potential donors in collaboration with the Vice Dean and other university gift officers.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- A minimum of three years of fundraising experience, including program planning and personal solicitation; excellent written and oral communication skills; negotiation skills; proven success in goal achievement for operating, capital, and endowment fund development; ability to deal with complex concepts and ambiguity;
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and leading collaboration. The ability to work well both independently and collectively with other team members and in managing multiple highly visible projects and priorities;
- Excellent and mature judgment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen and interact effectively with donors and high-level volunteers;
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time, including local and regional visits, and work evenings and occasional weekends.
- J.D. preferred;
- Fundraising experience at a higher education institution;
- Demonstrated experience in engaging academic leaders, faculty and volunteer partners in the development of meaningful and productive relationships with prospects and donors;
- Familiarity with and success in the complex environment of a public university.
Contact’s Name Judy Mackey
Contact’s Title Associate Director, Human Resources
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-1526