This position reports to the Director of ACE, and is responsible for the coordination, promotion and administration of the academic support services to assist Bryant’s international students and English Language Learners. S/he also enhances community awareness of international students and English Language Learner academic concerns.
1. Coordinating and administering all academic services including skill development, tutoring, and academic success programs offered to international students and English Language Learners through the Academic Center for Excellence and comprehensive advising services offered through Undergraduate Advising.
2. Administering and designing all aspects of the curriculum for the Academic English Language (AEL) program, including: faculty support (recruitment, training, and development of teaching resources and materials); organizing placement testing; conducting course assessments; coordinating structured learning assistance programming; and teaching credited courses for the AEL program students and other English Language Learners.
3. Coordinating individualized academic support for international students and English Language Learners with the goal of assessing specific needs, and identifying techniques and services to assist with academic skills, metacognitive processes, self-regulation of learning processes, and monitoring academic progress, including managing a caseload of at-risk international students and partnering with their academic advisors.
4. Developing and administering academic support programs and services for transfer students from Bryant University’s Zhuhai campus.
5. Promoting and coordinating academic services such as tutoring, advising, and academic skills programs for first-year international students and English Language Learners.
6. As the Academic Affairs liaison, working with University constituents, such as Faculty Development, Academic Advising, Student Affairs, and the Office of Admission, ensuring that international students and English Language Learners at Bryant have the necessary support systems, as well as academic and social skills, to be successful, particularly with their academic and cultural acclimation to the University.
7. Working as part of a team of Assistant Directors of the Academic Center for Excellence to support the daily operations of the center, including designing programs and services to support students, as well as training and supervising tutors, writing consultants and office assistants.
8. Perform related duties as assigned.
- A master’s in TESOL, a master’s in applied linguistics, a master’s in English with an emphasis in TESOL, or a master’s in teaching in ESL is required. A master’s degree in education or related field with TESOL certification will be considered.
- Experience working with English Language Learners and international students is required.
- Experience with curriculum development is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required to effectively counsel students and establish rapport with faculty members and academic administration.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills are essential.
- Teaching experience is required; teaching experience at the college level is preferred.
- Knowledge of immigration laws preferred.
Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.