University of Buraimi (UoB) – Oman, is a young dynamic and emerging institution dedicated to developing students’ skills and career development through global educational system. In building this dynamic university, the university looking for an experienced Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research and Innovation(DVCAARI) to oversee all academic affairs aspects and drive the academic strategy.
The University invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for the Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research and Innovation(DVCAARI).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work towards fulfillment of the mission of the university concerning academic policies and regulations
- Coordinate the preparation of strategic and annual plans for all academic colleges and departments
- Review, revise, update and develop appropriate academic policies and procedures, particularly in relation to
academic processes, academic staff development, continuing education, and community services
- Maintain responsibility for the development, administration, growth, and quality of all academic programs
and follow up on the performance of the units under his/her supervision through systematic evaluations
- Propose necessary measures to ensure orderly and efficient performance in his/her units.
- Coordinate with the deans / directors and other academic units in the preparation of study plans, duration of
semesters, admission requirements, community engagement plans, research plans, and follow up on the
progress of the students.
- Issue appointment decisions, promotion and granting exceptional allowances for staff of his / her units after
the approval of the vice chancellor in accordance with the pertinent regulations
- Review the report prepared by the deans, directors and other units under his/ her supervision as well as the
minutes of the units’ boards and submit them to the vice chancellor with comments on the issues covered
- Work closely with the academic deans and directors in promoting high academic standards and recognition of
faculty and student scholarly accomplishments.
- Strengthen coordination and cooperation in the academic units to increase student and faculty satisfaction
- Advise the university Vice Chancellor on matters relating to educational policies and strategies in both
undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and scientific research.
- Propose ways and means for strengthening cultural and academic relations with other universities, institutions
and organizations inside and outside the sultanate
- Work closely with the Vice Chancellor in fostering and developing international partnership for the growth
and the sustainability of the university
- Comment on the budget estimates proposed by the units and submit them to the Deputy Vice Chancellor for
Financial and Administrative Afairs.
- Undertake necessary actions for local and international programs/ college accreditations
- Submit periodic performance reports on the academic units, scientific research and undergraduate and
postgraduate studies to the Vice Chancellor.
- Propose the appointment of assistant to the deans, and department chairs to the Vice Chancellor for approval
- Propose staff / faculty transfer or load. The proposal shall specify the responsibilities of each of them in
accordance with the pertinent regulations.
- Look into the recommendations, made by the Deans in the reports prepared by the external examiners and
submit them to the Vice Chancellor
- Conduct at least two meetings in a semester attended by College Deans and others Academic Units Directors
to discuss matters of concern to their units and any other issues referred to them by the Vice Chancellor
- Any other duties assigned by the Vice Chancellor
- PhD from a reputable western university.
- Experience of not less than 3 years as Provost/ Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic
Affairs in a reputable university is desirable
- Have extensive industrial experience and proven track records in collaborating with
educational institutions business entities and industries
- Have strong record in international partnership and joint/ dual degree management
- Proven exposure in quality assurance in higher education locally, regionally and
- Successful handling of program/ college level local and international accreditation
(AACSB/ ABET/ EQUIS-EFMD/ EPAS-EFMD) is required
- Five years of experience in a leadership role, i.e, College Dean
- Ten years of experience in academic teaching and research work
- Experience in student academic counselling, community outreach, community
engagement, and development
- Evidence of undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum and research planning and
- Evidence of publication in reputable scientific journals
- In-depth understanding of the western model of education
- Ability to translate strategies into operational plans and achieve them
- Demonstrable experience in information technology and e-learning in support to
teaching instruction, research and administration
- Leadership and team management skills
- Strong ability to motivate staff, solve problems and make decisions
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing communication skills.
- Experience in fostering and building internal and external collaborative relationships
and faculty engagement in professional development
- Demonstrable capacity for making sound judgment and effectiveness in academic
- Remarkable experience in promoting an environment of creativity and innovation
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment
- Ability to inspire and motivate students in a learning centred environment and possess
good organizational and planning skills
- Proven knowledge of and commitment to academic governance, positive personnel
development, transparent consultative process towards result oriented
- Must be uent in English; and knowledge of the Arabic language is an advantage
- Experience in the GCC countries is an added advantage