Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Design and Construction
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Director of Design and Construction
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Administrative Exempt Positions
Reporting to the Vice President for Campus Planning and Facilities Management (VP), oversees and directs the design and construction of the University's capital construction program. Manages annual capital projects budget and monitors deferred maintenance backlog. Assists the VP in the development of a rolling 5-Year Capital Plan. Sets design standards and procedures for successful project delivery. Develops project requirements, budgets, and schedules and assures successful completion of all projects. Supervises project management staff and manages a portion of the program's projects independently. Functions as a key member of the VP's management team in the professional and successful operation of the Facilities Department.
- Annual Capital Budget Process: Gathers input from stakeholders across campus on facilities and campus needs, develops budget estimates for proposed projects, and develops prioritization based on criteria of safety, regulatory compliance, functionality, and preservation of Institutional assets. Works with Vice President to finalize the proposed Annual Capital Budget consistent with the 5-Year Capital Plan for approval by the Board of Trustees. Assigns projects to internal staff and outside resources as needed and manages overall workload to assure timely and successful completion of projects. Monitors project spending and provides monthly budget updates to Vice President and others, adjusts projects if needed and reconciles accounts with Accounting staff, and provides financial projections to assure Annual Capital Budget remains balanced.
- Deferred Maintenance: As part of the Annual Capital Budget process, updates the deferred maintenance calculation on a semi-annual basis to assure and report progress on managing the Institutes deferred maintenance status. Provides data and information to third party consultants to obtain independent assessments on status of deferred maintenance. Develops strategies to address deferred maintenance of systems in occupied buildings, and in accordance with safety and building code requirements.
- Design Standards: Develops design standards and updates as necessary to establish effective and consistent design requirements for projects that meet objectives for building functionality and also for efficiency of maintenance and operation of new and renovated facilities.
- Standard Procedures and Processes: Develops standard contracts and updates as necessary to establish clear responsibilities for contracted outside parties and protect Institutional interests. Develops and updates as necessary project management procedures based on industry best practices. Works with Academic and Student Affairs and other Institutional groups to develop and administer a consistent project request process for all campus constituents.
- Project Budgets and Schedules: Develops accurate and realistic project budgets and schedules to manage the Institutions resources effectively and in balance with the Strategic Plan. Makes strategic decisions to assure projects are delivered on time and on budget at consistently high standards of quality. Collaborates with stakeholders during project management and communicates progress and decisions to others in an effective, timely, and professional manner.
- Project Management: Supervises staff of the Design and Construction group and third party project management firms to assure consistent practices and highest quality project management.
- Design and Construction Contract Administration: Oversees selection process for design consultants, construction firms, and other vendors. Assures competitive selection criteria of the Institution is followed and best value is obtained. Establishes Purchase Order commitments in Institutional accounting system, reviews and approves requests for payment and assures that invoices and transfers are assigned to proper accounts. Enforces administration and compliance with all contract terms and conditions. Assures building start-up, commissioning, project close-out, and warranty activities.
- Collaboration: Works collaboratively with user groups and constituents to plan, develop space program and scope, and maintains a strong commitment to customer service throughout project development and execution. Minimizes impacts of project activities on the academic and student life mission of the Institution. Obtains appropriate design input from the Facilities, Environmental Health & Safety, and IT departments and others as needed and assures that maintenance and operational standard are followed. Assures the successful integration of work performed by internal departments such as IT, Environmental Health & Safety, Campus Police, Student Affairs, and others. Manages move-in and coordinates the transition from construction to building operation.
- Regulatory Process: Maintains a positive working relationship with the City of Worcester Building Department and City Fire Department, and represents the University at project review boards such as the Historical Commission, Conservation Commission, and Planning Board.
- Building Plans, Campus Maps, Project Documents: Maintains archive of project information and records using best practices to enable electronic search and retrieval of information. Ensures that Institutional information systems are updated annually for campus space and physical attributes.
- Sustainability: Applies knowledge of sustainable design and construction to assure buildings meet sustainability objectives. New buildings and other major projects will be developed to achieve LEED ratings and advance WPIs Sustainability Plan.
- Problem Solving: Shows open minded, creative, collaborative, and decisive approach to problem solving. Serves on Institutional committees and task forces as assigned.
- Facilities Management Team: Participates as a member of the Facilities Department management team along with the Director of Facilities Operations and Director of Environmental Health & Safety, under the leadership of the VP. Contributes to problem solving of Institutional challenges, creation of policies and procedures, and participation in events and emergency management.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, architecture, project management, or equivalent level of experience.
- 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience demonstrating the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities noted above.
- A record of accomplishment in a significant role and including successful completion of projects in excess of $20 million.
- Preferred Credentials and Experience:
- Professional registration.
- LEED Accreditation
- Experience in higher education institutional setting.
- Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience planning and managing a multi-project capital program.
- Knowledge and understanding of building systems, how they are constructed and how they function.
- Knowledge and skill to necessary to prepare accurate cost estimates.
- Experience developing detailed and achievable project schedules including planning, design, permitting, construction, and close-out phases.
- Project management and organizational skills to manage individual projects as well as a multi-project capital program.
- Knowledge and experience with various state of the industry project delivery and contract administration models and software platforms.
- Knowledge and experience applying Building Code requirements to new and existing buildings, including life safety and ADA code requirements.
- Bidding and contract negotiating skills
- Proven collaboration skills in a large and diverse working environment, and maintaining a respectful and professional approach to work.
- Experience with accounting and budget management systems.
- Knowledge and experience with LEED and other sustainability approaches.
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5589
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |