The University at Buffalo seeks to recruit a visionary and transformative leader for the position of Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence. The Vice Provost will report to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and will be a member of the university’s senior leadership team.
UB is committed to achieving inclusive excellence by leveraging our research expertise, expansive curriculum, and campus diversity. Creating and maintaining a culture of inclusive excellence requires shared responsibility for fostering a diverse and welcoming environment and is critical for providing the transformational learning environment and advancing UB’s leadership in the 21st century.
Guided by "Our Commitment to Inclusive Excellence: UB’s Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan" (2016), the Vice Provost for Inclusive Excellence will orchestrate a wide range of interests across the university, and will be responsible for leading, planning and coordinating UB’s efforts to ensure that policies and practices lead to a more diverse, equitable and inclusive campus community. The Vice Provost will:
- Oversee the implementation of "Our Commitment to Inclusive Excellence," which integrates inclusive excellence in all aspects of university operations, coordinating UB’s many inclusive excellence-related efforts and better monitoring progress to goals;
- Facilitate the implementation of the recommendations from the Task Force on International Student Inclusion;
- Work with other senior leaders (president, provost, vice presidents, deans, vice provosts) to ensure that inclusive excellence-related objectives are incorporated into strategic plans and operations of the university;
- Chair the Inclusive Excellence Leadership and Advisory Council, which reflects the broad scope of the university and advises the Vice Provost on implementing the strategic plan and enhancing the culture of inclusive excellence at UB;
- Identify barriers and gaps in UB policies and practices, and advance best practices required to sustain and enhance a welcoming climate and culture of inclusive excellence throughout the university;
- Provide advice and training resources to reduce barriers to diversity in faculty and staff searches and to encourage recruitment and retention from underrepresented groups;
- Work with senior academic leadership in improving access and establishing a stronger pipeline for diverse undergraduate, graduate and professional students;
- Provide input on UB Curriculum diversity-related learning objectives, including providing guidance during curriculum revision and assessment processes;
- Work with the Offices of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Institutional Analysis and Human Resources to report data on UB’s progress toward inclusive excellence, and ensure that these data are public and transparent to the extent possible.
- Produce an annual report that reflects the university’s ongoing efforts with regard to establishing a culture of equity and inclusion;
- Provide leadership and communicate UB’s commitment to inclusive excellence across the university, at SUNY, and nationally as a senior leader for inclusive excellence.
The successful candidate will be a senior faculty member at the rank of professor with a strong record of research and education at the university level as well as:
- Demonstrated expertise, commitment and experience regarding inclusive excellence-related issues, policies and programs
- Documented effectiveness managing others with a cooperative leadership style
- Successful experience facilitating collaborative processes with academic and administrative colleagues at all levels
- Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies
- Creative, dynamic approaches to building consensus and motivating colleagues
Senior administrative experience in higher education
Contact’s Name Patricia Napoli
Contact’s Title Staff Assistant
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-6145