The University of Sharjah is seeking an experienced scholar with a strong record of academic and administrative experience to serve as Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (VCAA). The position of VCAA is one of the most senior academic positions at the University of Sharjah with the main responsibility of leading the academic activities to enhance the quality of undergraduate and graduate education through the promotion of excellence in teaching, enhancement of the student learning experience, the development of scholarship, and the promotion of effective student-faculty interactions. It is anticipated that the VCAA will begin duties on July 20, 2019.
The University of Sharjah is Not for Profit comprehensive institution with Medical and Health Sciences cluster and offer more than 100 academic undergraduate and graduate programs by 13 colleges to more than 15300 students from more than 95 nationalities.
The University is renowned for having distinguished and dedicated faculty, a fabulous and scenic campus serving multiple locations and communities, and state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities. The University takes pride in providing its students with education of the highest quality based on distinctive learning style and global vision, in its full engagement with the community and for being a major center for study and scholarship where world civilizations meet.
The University community seeks a dedicated academic leader with a passion for continued development and improvement of curriculum, a capacity to initiate and implement innovative programs, intellectual vitality, and a commitment to all university programs in the areas of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering and Architecture, Fine Arts and Design, Law, Sharia and Islamic Studies, Basic and Life Sciences and Communications and Journalism. The VCAA works closely with the Vice Chancellor for the Medical Colleges Affairs and the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies to promote education and research in the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
The VCAA should foster a vibrant and empowered learning community through a proven leadership style that evokes trust, welcomes collaboration, promotes shared governance and reflects confident decision-making. The VCAA has broad, delegated responsibility for the overall excellence and vitality of the University’s academic life and its programs.
Since Arabic and English are the languages of instruction at the University of Sharjah, the ability to work and communicate in both languages is considered essential in the evaluation of the applicants for the position of VCAA.
The successful candidate must have:
- The academic rank of full professor at a renowned academic institution
- Knowledge and experience in an academic setting, including curriculum and instruction, research and scholarly activity, accreditation, admissions and financial aid, and academic support services.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex academic organization, to work effectively with colleagues across divisions and campuses, and to effectively lead and support a strong administrative team.
- Effective administrative experience in higher education that includes planning, faculty development, budgeting, and resource development.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including a sense of humor, and decision-making abilities that enable engagement and interaction with the various constituencies.
- A commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain, and manage a quality faculty and rigorous academic programs and policies.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and management of curriculum.
- Demonstrated experience in academic program assessment and the development and implementation of continuous improvement strategies.
- Demonstrated commitment to student centered programming, academic excellence, and integrity at all levels.
- Strong commitment to collegial, consultative processes and to shared governance.
Nominations and expressions of interest, which will be treated in confidence, should be sent either electronically or by postal mail to the addresses given below. The applications should consist of a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae and five references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers included. Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, screening will begin on March 16, 2019.
Electronically: Please email the application documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format to: VCAA-Acadamic@sharjah.ac.ae
Postal mail: Please mail the application documents to:
Office of the Chancellor – Confidential
University of Sharjah
PO Box 27272
To learn more about the University of Sharjah, please visit www.sharjah.ac.ae.