Associate Director, Department of Public Administration
192 - Public Administration
The Associate Director is responsible for assisting in the management of operations for the Department of Public Administration for the Master of Public Administration (MPA) program (online and on-campus), as well as for undergraduate programming. This position assists the Department Chair with initiatives, events, marketing and communication strategies, reporting, and data collection for the Department as a whole. This position also serves as MPA liaison/primary contact with the Department's online program partner and is a resource for all on-campus and online students as well as faculty in the Department.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage operations of the MPA program through: (1) hiring and training adjunct faculty; (2) scheduling and staffing for online courses in cooperation with the Department Chair; (3) designing and administering an orientation program for on-line faculty and students; (4) assisting with the planning of professional development and community-building activities; (5) and advising online students (when necessary).
- Support the management of the Departments marketing and communication strategies and initiatives through (1) development and management of social media platforms and content, (2) development and editing of communication plans, advertisements, and media; (3) content management of the Department webpages.
- Supervise tuition scholar/graduate assistant on work related to Department.
- Work with Department Chair to supervise the Administrative Assistant on tasks for the Department.
- Primary point of contact with University Information Technologies (UNIT) and the Director of Online Programs in the Provosts Office regarding online course administration, online technology, and LMS migration.
- Serve as liaison with online vendor, Bisk.
- Provide technical support to faculty teaching online classes regarding on-line instruction, course management, and redesign process.
- Assist with data collection for NASPAA accreditation and annual reporting. Administer surveys for MPA program.
- Engage in the recruitment of new students through the facilitation of information sessions, open houses, and undergraduate and graduate program fairs. Review applications of prospective MPA students in consultation with MPA Program Director on a rolling basis.
- Assist with the planning of Department events and management of student groups including the Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society and ICMA Student Chapter.
- Assist with alumni engagement efforts.
- Facilitate comprehensive exams for graduate students.
- Manage problems that may arise, such as processing academic integrity violations, according to Villanova policy and procedures.
- Perform other duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- The minimum qualification for the Associate Director is an MPA degree with knowledge of the policies of the University, College, and Department regarding admission, enrollment, academic standing, and graduation of students.
- 5+ years of administrative/management experience is required.
- Candidates who possess another masters degree but have relevant professional experience may also be considered. Knowledge of the numerous rules set forth by the U.S. Government regarding the university admittance of International Students, the Students Right to Privacy Act, and the Universitys Academic Integrity policy is required.
- Candidates for the position must have strong organizational, time management, and relationship management skills with demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
- The candidate selected must also communicate professionally and efficiently within a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills are required.
- Candidates must be proficient in all standard computer applications, including Microsoft Office products. The candidate must be extremely proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook. General knowledge of office principles and procedures is required.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
Special Message to Applicants
- Candidates who are results-oriented and can anticipate and identify problems and opportunities and take decisive action to proactively address them are preferred.
- Candidates with experience working with a distance learning program and who have knowledge of programs specific to online education, such as Learning Management Systems (i.e., Blackboard), Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, and Zoom, are preferred.
- Familiarity with University systems such as Banner, application management systems including Slate and Nolij, data reporting and collection systems such as Cognos and Qualtrics, and web design software such as Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) and WordPress preferred.
Applications are to be submitted through PeopleAdmin, available at https://jobs.villanova.edu/. The application should include:
detailed letter of application indicating professional experience and interest in the position
graduate and undergraduate transcripts
resume, including three professional references
statement of contribution to the University mission, and
professional writing sample.
Documents that cannot be submitted electronically should be sent to Dr. Catherine Wilson, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Public Administration, Villanova University, St. Augustine Center, Room 484, 800 Lancaster Avenue, Villanova PA 19085-1699. All material must be received by February 15, 2019. Questions about the position can be directed to Dr. Catherine Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mission of the Department of Public Administration at Villanova University is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students for meaningful work in public service by providing them with the theoretical foundations and tools they need to become skilled, thoughtful, inclusive, and ethical leaders in service to the common good.
The Villanova MPA Program is a NASPAA accredited program. For more information about the Department of Public Administration at Villanova, visit www.publicadmin.villanova.edu. For more information about the online MPA program at Villanova, visit www.onlinempa.villanova.edu.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/15606
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.