The University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) invites nominations and applications for the Dean, System College of Pharmacy (SCP). UNTHSC has a strong values-based culture working together through Extraordinary Teamwork to produce the health care leaders of the future.
Located on the UNTHSC campus in Fort Worth, the UNT System College of Pharmacy joined colleges/schools of Osteopathic Medicine, Public Health, Health Professions and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in 2013. The UNT System College of Pharmacy graduated its first class and received accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) in 2017.
Reporting to the Provost (Charles Taylor, PharmD), the Dean is responsible for meeting the mission of the System College of Pharmacy, as well as contributing to the overall goals of UNTHSC. Key areas of responsibility include meeting the needs of existing programs and expanding or developing educational programs in a manner consistent with the strategic goals of the SCP and UNTHSC. The Dean is also expected to continue to identify opportunities for collaboration with local and regional partners to ensure the SCP is a valued and recognized partner with community entities and agencies, and to establish the SCP as a recognized authority in community and state health by advancing the practice of pharmacy and its contributions to society. In this role, the Dean will serve as an advocate for the System College of Pharmacy, strengthening its message and vision of health care where pharmacists serve as not only important members of a health care team, but as a crucial point for health care access.
The successful candidate must be a strong academic leader with demonstrable experiences in promoting pharmacy student and resident success in the context of the future of pharmacy education and practice. The candidate should also demonstrate experience with the requirements of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), have a history of fostering a culture of assessment and continuous quality improvement, and exhibit a track record of collaboration/promoting inter-professional activities across multiple units (e.g., Departments, Institutes, Schools).
The Dean is responsible for all aspects of the operations of the System College of Pharmacy and the Dean’s direct reports include the following: Senior Associate Deans, Chairs, Senior Director, Directors, and a Senior Executive Assistant.
The successful candidate for the Dean, SCP will possess a terminal degree in pharmacy or related field with a strong understanding of contemporary pharmacy and health care systems. This typically includes ten years of relevant experience in pharmacy education with at least five years in an administrative position overseeing academic and fiscal management.
Opportunities and Challenges:
In the coming years, the Dean will have the opportunity to make an impact in several crucial areas within the SCP and UNTHSC:
- Strategic Planning – Formulating a vision and creating a strategic plan to further enhance the SCP’s infrastructure and accelerate its upward trajectory in achieving its mission to create solutions for a healthier community by developing patient centered pharmacy professionals, promoting team healthcare, and optimizing health through discovery.
- Team Building – Recruiting and retaining key administrative team members, faculty, and staff to achieve SCP
and UNTHSC goals and objectives; serve as an integral and active member of the UNTHSC’s Executive Team.
* Partnership Development – Expanding and strengthening partnerships amongst all UNTHSC units and senior leadership to leverage their collective resources and strengths on behalf of UNTHSC and each respective unit.
- Faculty Development and Increasing Research Productivity – The Dean will play a key role in providing guidance and securing resources for the further development of faculty, both individually and as members of the UNTHSC community. The Dean will be an inspirational leader who will lead the SCP faculty in identifying new opportunities to expand research productivity, while maintaining the balance between research excellence and a high-quality teaching environment. Through these efforts, the Dean and the SCP will have the opportunity to further strengthen UNTHSC’s research competitiveness in technologies that will promise future advances in the health sciences.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- A nationally and internationally recognized reputation in the pharmacy field.
- A commitment to excellence in interprofessional education.
- The ability to effectively lead and manage change and transformation.
- A leadership style that has exhibited a proactive, results-oriented stand towards achieving outcomes in complicated, changing, multifaceted environments.
- A demonstrated results-oriented leader who has the ability and poise to develop and implement a strategy to further elevate the System College of Pharmacy.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and excellence of student teaching and learning.
- A management style that encourages collegiality, teamwork, participation, communication, mentoring, and service orientation.
- The ability to delegate responsibility to senior subordinates allowing them to identify the ways and means to accomplish specific operational goals and objectives.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit materials by November 28, 2018. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Please submit a current curriculum vitae and a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position by visiting: www.unthscjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=61181
For questions on the position or to submit nominations, you can contact:
Claire Peel, PT, PhD
Sr. Vice Provost and Search Committee Chair
Jackie Williams, MA