The Director of Network and Communications Systems leads the enterprise-wide network and telecommunication strategy. The director manages a team of professionals responsible for the planning, strategic design, development, and operation of data network and telecommunication services required to deliver necessary features, performance, and availability to support the teaching, research, and service activities of the University. The incumbent directs the activities necessary to keep the network infrastructure running seamlessly, efficiently, and effectively while ensuring compliance with established standards and policies.
In meeting these responsibilities, the Director participates in the VPCIO’s IT planning processes. To implement the relevant objectives and goals of these efforts, the Director works with the Directors of IT Customer Service, Enterprise Infrastructure Services, Enterprise Application Services and the Information Security Officer as well as other academic/administrative IT leadership across the institution.
The successful candidate must demonstrate expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. He/she will rely on his/her own extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. He/she will lead and direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Leads all aspects of the networking team including design, engineering, security, implementation, and operations for the enterprise’s network
- Works with senior management and IT personnel to ensure business alignment
- Defines architectural guidelines and implements service monitoring across all platforms to ensure high availability and disaster recovery capability of critical systems
- Monitors and analyzes network to recommend upgrades and changes as needed.
- Directs a large number of complex IT networking initiatives
- Ensures effective network design and operations for cloud, on-premise, and blended services
- Negotiates and drives approval process for statements of work and vendor contracts/renewals, including business case ROI determination for all network related activities
- Leads, develops and mentors a team of network and telecommunications engineers
- Directs teams leading vendor management and issue resolution support, including II and III level network support for help desks
All duties and responsibilities occur in a 24/7 environment, and therefore, working extended hours, holidays, and varied hours may be required.
UBIT’s mission is "to advance UB’s mission of excellence in research, teaching, and service through the innovative and effective use of Information Technology."
UBIT is a group of nearly 400 talented professionals throughout the university, working collaboratively to provide and support campus use of information technology to achieve academic and professional aspirations. UBIT is also committed to understanding the ever-changing needs of the campus community striving to partner and lead the evaluation, implementation, and operation of all IT services.
This is a great time to join the team at UB and with UB Information Technology. During the past four years, the VPCIO and UBIT have focused on modernizing the core IT infrastructure. These strategic enhancements have resulted in a world-class technology environment serving the Faculty, Students, and Administration at UB. In addition, the professional IT staff are highly skilled and motivated to succeed with cutting-edge training and technical resources at their disposal.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Computer Science or related field.
- 10 years of full-time, enterprises information systems, and 5 years leadership in increasingly complex network systems experience
- Experience supervising and mentoring information technology professionals
- Demonstrated experience working, collaborating, and establishing credibility and relationships with senior leadership, colleagues and customers
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience successfully working independently as well as part of a team with a collaborative approach to problem solving
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make
- Experience successfully building consensus among a large number of diverse colleagues, senior leadership and outside agencies to address and resolve issues
- Documented ability accomplishing major tasks and assignments with and through others
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Master’s degree
- Five years leadership in Network and Communication services experience in a complex, distributed Higher Education/Academic environment
- Demonstrated experience with developing enterprise-level network systems policy
- Experience presenting information technology information/concepts to senior-level executives